Wednesday 24 August 2011

Run for Rescues

Today I want to write about my precious daughter Jamie who has the biggest heart for animals of anyone I know. She is vegan for ethical and moral reasons, and she takes on causes such as the H.A.R.T. (humane animal rescue team) This is a non-profit organization committed to rescue stray, abandoned and unwanted dogs from rural areas surrounding Edmonton, Alberta and place them in permanent homes. They also provide programs that promote responsible pet ownership, and prevent cruelty to animals. On their webiste is a touching story called
"You Loved Me Once"
As a puppy, you loved me and welcomed me into your home. You bought me toys and you laughed when I did puppy things. We played together and you took me to fun places. Over time, we played together less. Then, you stopped spending time with me and left me in the yard. I wish you could have taken me to get my fur groomed. I wish you could have cut my nails so I could walk without pain. I'm sorry that I started to lose my hearing-I really wanted to hear you call my name.

One day a new person came to get me. She was smiling and gentle and took me for a car ride. I didn't know what to think. She took me to her house and introduced me to some other dogs. They were running and wagging their tails. She gave me lots of pets. She cut my nails, shaved off my matted hair and let me sleep on a big comfy bed.

I still don't hear very well, but I know that my foster mom is saying nice things to me. Even though you don't love me anymore, I know that I am loved. I am happy again.

This story represents what H.A.R.T. is about, and it was for this reason that Jamie decided to bring to light this amazing rescue organization. The HART organized a "Run for Rescues" to raise money. She trained daily to prepare for the run and gathered pledges. On August 20th Jamie, Donald and their dog Thor ran for the rescues. I am proud of her hard work and the money she raised. Above are the pictures of the run. They also had some fun prizes such as dog and owner look alike. You will see that Jamie's partner Donald won the look alike with their English Mastiff Thor!!

Remember the animals in your local area. Donate to your local shelters or humane rescue societies. Volunteer to walk, or supply bags of food, bedding, leashes, toys, or even kennels.








5 comments:

  1. I am so proud of Jamie and what she is accomplishing, I give to the SPCA every month and take food to the dogs and cats as well as load up my car with blankets, towels and whatever else I can find and make a run. If I could I would bring them all home and love them to death - well not literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom you also are one of the most generous people I know - especially when it comes to animals!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also very proud of Jamie. This year she decided to find ways to help out animals. Besides being a devote vegan she found different races and walks that support animals like dogs and cats, silverback gorillas (Edmonton Gorilla Run Sept. 10) and walk for farm animals (Calgary Sept. 17). I really hope someone can go with Jamie to the gorilla run and take pictures. I would also like to point out that her sponsors should get a huge THANK YOU as well. Without them, she would have just went for a run. She managed to raise about $300 for HART and hopefully she can continue to raise money for the next causes. If anyone would like to sponsor Jamie and donate to these great causes I'm sure we can put a link on here for that. And as Cathy said, look into donating to great causes in your own areas as there is a great need financially to help these organizations stay afloat. Some places have to put down animals because they can't afford to keep them. So sad! Let's not let that happen.
    and.. I did win the look-a-like contest but I had to run the race to win. There was one guy who looked like his bulldog but didn't win because he didn't race. Just thought I'd let everyone know that I was running with my dear Jamie and Thor, not just hanging out soaking up the sun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the additional information Donald! And I didn't know you ran as well. Thanks for clarifying...
    I too am very proud of Jamie. She has an amazing heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure did. Couldn't let Jamie run her first race by herself. I didn't train though so she had to pack me most of the way. haha.

    ReplyDelete