Monday 15 August 2011

Time to Reflect

This picture is the clock in Gastown and it offers the time to reflect.
It was an amazing summer. I left my conservative life in my conservative little city to take an adventure to the big city of Vancouver for 6 weeks in order to begin my doctoral degree. Now...those who know me understand why this was such a big deal. I like to eat the same breakfast each morning, have the same routine, I have worked at the same hospital for years and will most likely work in the same nursing instructor position until I retire. I take the same route to work each day, and walk the same paths when taking my dogs out. I decorate my house exactly the same way every Christmas (right girls?). So-the thought of leaving all my comfort and routine to go to the city and rent a house, use the transit system, sky train,and find my class at UBC- not to mention beginning a new and very challenging doctoral degree- almost sent me running for Ativan!!

I had sleepless nights as I tried to figure out how to minimize the anxiety and fear. As each day got closer I wanted to change my mind and back out of the program, but somehow the thought of getting my degree was stronger than the fear. I decided that a 50 year old woman shouldn't be so afraid of life. It was time to try new adventures and branch out. So- with determination and lots of prayer, I arranged to rent an apartment (my daughter actually took care of that), register for the courses, pack my belongings and with a big smile left Kelowna for the big city at the end of June.

All went well until I arrived in Chilliwack and got caught behind the big mud slide. The rain was coming down in buckets and a very wet police officer informed that I would have to turn back and go another route via Hope. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Obviously this man does not know me. I only know one route to Vancouver...I had no idea how to take another route. I must have looked like I was about to cry as he kindly had me follow a semi going to Vancouver. Thank you God! I made it to Vancouver 2 hours later than scheduled but proud of myself for finding my way.

Simone and I went over to Victoria on the June long weekend and my family surprised me with a 50th birthday party. All my girls were there and so was my mom. I had a wonderful time -thank you for my special birthday weekend. I brought my big 50th balloon home on the ferry and got lots of "happy birthdays" from strangers!! So I started my adventure in style!

Okay-next adventure...finding my way to the UBC campus, getting my student card, bus pass and finding my classroom. Thank goodness for my daughter Simone. She has the patience of a saint. We found everything together and got my passes so one more wonderful accomplishment!! I then settled into my new apartment and figured out how to open the doors with a fob instead of keys.

Simone invited me to a BBQ at her condo in Gastown and gave me directions to take the bus and sky train and then where to walk to arrive at her place. Yup-any guesses as to who got lost?? I got off the sky train and turned right instead of left (thanks to a ...helpful woman on the sky train) and walked for what seems like an hour and suddenly I was staring at the ocean...hmmmm that was NOT Gastown from what I could remember. The panic set in and I frantically called Simone -saying and I quote "WHERE AM I"? "I DON'T KNOW WHERE I AM"!!! I was near tears and poor Simone panicked and asked me to look for landmarks. I said there is an ocean!! So- with lots of patience AGAIN- Simone came and rescued me. Oh-the adventures. But on a positive note-I never got lost again going to her place.

I had the time of my life in Vancouver after I settled in. The people are crazy, funny, sad, scary, friendly and everything in between. The transit system was a learning experience (see my previous blogs), school was amazingly difficult and yet wonderful, and most of all I learned indepedence, joy, and a sense of peace. At 50 years of age I found myself. I actually think I could live in Vancouver!! Amazing eh?

I also spent more time with Simone than I had in a long time. She is funny, sensitive, loving, kind, generous, an amazing cook, knows absolutely EVERYONE in Vancouver and loves her mommy! She took me for the most wonderful massages, pedicures, manicure, lunches, walks and shopping. I will never forget my summer with my precious girl!

I went to Victoria several times to visit Danielle, Bridget, Brandon and my little lovey Emily. I loved every minute of visiting, walking and cuddling my grandbaby. Thank you girls for being who you are!!

After finishing my 2nd course, I packed up and drove back to Kelowna. I had a certain amount of sadness, but also joy knowing I was going back to great friends, a job I love, and my home. Yes-my home! Nothing is greater than returning home after being away.

Thank you God for one of the best adventures of my life!

2 comments:

  1. I love the fact that you had a great adventure conquering fears, but so happy to have you back home. Glad the time went by fast.( and, NO, you can't move there :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Colleen,
    I am glad to be home and see what adventures await me here in Kelowna!

    ReplyDelete