Wednesday 28 September 2011

Find a Happy Place...Find a Happy Place

Well-the busy semester has officially set in complete with busy classes, clinical practice in hospital, team meetings, committee meetings, research, and not to be forgotten...my doctoral homework!

I had it all worked out this summer. I had a plan. I prepped. I completed and posted my class power points. I updated all my teaching notes, I organized all the class rooms for my teachers. I ensured everything was in order. So my question is why am I experiencing the stress of keeping my head above float? I am sure I am not alone and that most teachers and university instructors feel the same. You can plan...but then life happens and you have to adjust, change plans, and be flexible. Well-let me tell you-that is easier said than done.

Each week in class-I have issues with the electronics...come on UBC ...update the equipment all ready!! Students faint in clinical practice looking at the first dressing change...I think if they knew how much paper work was involved-they would eat breakfast before coming to clinical! LOL. I plan the perfect community schedule for my students...but they want to change it "because it doesn't sound interesting". Hmmmm how to please 125 community students is beyond me!

Then to add to this chaos is my doctoral work which is well under way for the semester. We have several assignments due this semester and the first one was due this week. As well, I have to drive to Vancouver for the weekend to attend classes. Though I am complaining...and believe I am...I love this new knowledge so I guess I will have to find a way to fit everything in.

Okay-now that I have vented...and thanks so much for listening...I am determined to look on the bright side and "find my happy place".
Life is amazing. Along with the chaos, it is filled with many blessings such as my daughters who never fail to phone regularly "just to chat". It is filled with friendships that will carry me into my old age. It is filled with accomplishments such as publishing my book. It is knowing that I am loved. In spite of the chaos, I wake up happy and joyfully sip on a fresh cup of coffee and plan my day. I always leave for work with a smile on my face.
Remember the movie "It's a Wonderful Life". Well-that is each of our lives. We are needed, loved and making a difference in the world!

Here is a quote from the Dalai Lama:
"When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cathy! I feel your pain....and your joy. Looking forward to seeing you on Friday, girlfriend! Great quote by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cath-
    Looking forward to seeing you too! And I knew you would love this quote-LOL

    ReplyDelete