Wednesday 5 October 2011

Getting Fit for Life

I have decided to take on a new health life plan...AKA...diet. Above is my before picture taken this year.
As a child, teenager and young woman, I was always thin. In fact my nick name (thanks mom) was "bones" during my growing up years. Even after having all my children I was thin. I could eat what I wanted and I never exercised.

I swear that when I turned 30 my body decided to add salt to my already open wound and throw on some extra weight. 10 extra pounds to be exact! I dealt with this thinking that I could easily take it off whenever I wanted so I didn't give it much thought...big mistake...huge...because I didn't take it off and when my 40s rolled around the weight kept creeping on. Suddenly I was faced with 25 extra pounds. Hmmmmm-doesn't look that great when a person is used to being thin!!
Many diets ensued - sometimes with good success for a while...other times disastrous with me gaining even more. I decided that my "metabolism" was in slug mode or that I surely had a thyroid problem...funny thing is my doctors disagreed...what do they know!(LOL)

When my 50s unceremoniously rolled around this summer, I found myself even heavier. Do you know that whenever I am walking down the street and see myself in a store window- I am completely shocked at the person staring at me? I wonder who that is until I realize it is me and my heart sinks. I am equally shocked when I try on clothes in a store and they don't fit or are tight...I automatically check the size in case I brought the wrong one into the change room. Good grief...can we say denial??

So-why am I telling you this? I have decided that I want to be a healthy and fit woman for the rest of my life. I picture above is my before picture so you can all see me at my highest weight (and no...I won't say what that is!!). I figure that if I share this with you, I will be more inclined to stick to my program so that I won't be humiliated in front of you all. Therefore, I will keep you all in the loop and post pictures periodically to chronical my journey to health and fitness. So...stay tuned!!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Cathy, I have to agree that I'm feeling much the same way. I was a skinny rail all through my teen years the same...I could eat anything without exercise & not gain a pound. Since getting married & having babies....that's a totally different story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the support...sure is challenging isn't it? And by the way - who is this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So stoked for you Mom!!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Simone. I am excited to do some shopping after my pants start falling off!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete