Tuesday 19 July 2011

Don't Worry Be Happy

Life is busy. We all go at the speed of light to get everything we need accomplished. This certainly has been true for me the past few months leading up to starting my doctor of education program. I had to complete all my duties at work, prep as much as I could for the fall semester, finish my book and get it published, weed the yards, mow the lawns, clean the house, find a house in Vancouver, get the car ready-just to name a few.

After arriving at the end of June, I mentally prepared myself that the education program would be fast paced, but I was slightly unprepared to eat, sleep, and breathe the readings and assignments. I am sure my cohort can attest to the busy pace. This past weekend my daughter encouraged me to get away from the books and have some fun being a tourist in Vancouver. I resisted as I had an assignment due Sunday night, but with loving persistance Simone talked me into it. So, on Saturday morning, with the rain coming down in buckets, we put hats on, layered appropriately, and walked for hours, shopped at a wonderful outdoor market, took the seabus to English Bay and visited the bronze "Smiling Men". Nothing can make you relax and laugh like these statues. I did as all silly tourists do and took pictures of myself mimicking the statues. Here are a few of the pictures.

I am posting these to remind us all to smile, to laugh and not take life too seriously. We can spend our time filled with stress, anxiety and shut away in our homes studying or we can throw open the shutters, see the light (or rain-LOL) and be happy. That is what Simone and I did. We laughed and talked and walked. I came home tired and ready to finish the assignment that was due on Sunday. I completed it and made wonderful memories with my daughter. Let's graduate with fond memories and an example to our students and families that balance is key to living a fulfilling life.

Anyone have a story to share about finding joy in their busy life, or any stories from our cohort on how you are enjoying life while being a student?

2 comments:

  1. Mother, I'm going to need a close up of whatever is on your head.

    Those statutes are pretty funny though, I had never even heard of them before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL-it is Simone's hat and it is the maple leaf and says "Canada". The statues are soooo funny and there are like a dozen different positions to mimick!

    ReplyDelete