Sunday 24 July 2011

Family Fun and the Buskers


It was wonderful to complete the first course of my doctoral degree. I had been so nervous and worried that perhaps I was in over my head. But to my relief, it was a great experience and I learned a lot in a short period of time. I know now that I can do it and look forward to the next course with the marathon of readings and assignments. Doing a 3 month course in 3 weeks has its challenges, but the reward of receiving 3 credits in 3 weeks is worth it!! I think my cohort would agree.

I decided to celebrate the end of the course by going over to Victoria. The sun was shining and it was hot and wonderful. Here are a couple of pictures-one with my daughter Danielle, and the other with my grandbaby Emily.

We went to the Buskers Festival. It is an amazing event. This is a free international festival that encourages the community to come to the downtown area and watch street performers. The income for their performance is to "tip their hats". The one I will talk about is "Bendy Em". She is a comic contortionist from Australia. She contorts herself to fit into a tiny 16 inch clear box. To add to the tight squeeze she puts a basketball in the box with her. Above is the picture of her getting into the box and the last picture is her completely in the box. The performers at the festival were very skilled and funny. We wandered around all day-got fairly burned-oops didn't sunscreen-and ate great food.

So, I came back to Vancouver tired and happy. Today I am spending the day with my other daughter Simone. We are going for a long walk in the sunshine, then manicures and pedicures, and a BBQ with friends tonight. Oh I love weekend relaxation!!

Monday is the start of a new course. It is on Ethics and Leadership and should be interesting. I have decided that I love learning. Never thought I would admit that. School was always about the "means to the end", but this degree is so interesting and the professors so suportive that I am learning the joy of "learning". The work is hard but rewarding. My cohort is supportive and friendly and funny. I am at a good place in my life. I have the most amazing family, great friends, perfect job and now an extended group of friends (my cohort). Wow-could life be any better? I hope you all had some family time and relaxation as well. It is so important to our physical, spiritual and emotional health.

No comments:

Post a Comment