Monday 4 July 2011

My First Day of School

Woke up at the crack of dawn this morning...I guess I was nervous to see how this new day would pan out. I left the apartment at 0800 and dutifully walked to the bus stop only to watch the 99 B-line speed by me. Hmmmm-so when another bus stopped I hopped on and said the bus driver "newbie here-I am trying to get to UBC". The driver laughed and said "that's okay we were all newbies once". He provided much appreciated info to the right bus stop. I feel the need to talk about the bus ride. The bus drivers here are CRAZY! I bounced and was jostled around like a rag doll, and at one point almost launched out of my seat when the driver decided he couldn't make the yellow light. I literally planted my foot on the seat of the woman in front of me and hung on.I may need therapy when I get back home in August. At least the fast crazy driving got me to the campus with 30 minutes to spare! Do you see me looking on the bright side?? It is all part of my new adventures. Tomorrow I am wearing a dress so it may be hard to lift and plant my foot on someone's seat...we shall see how it goes.

I met the cohort of 13 students-all of whom are interesting and have such varied backgrounds. My anxiety decreased with each passing hour. When class ended at 1200 we went outside and took class pictures. We decided it would be good to see how fresh and young we look compared to 3-4 years from now!! LOL I can't seem to load my memory card to my computer tonight but will do it as soon as I can so you can see my new peers.

I have tons of reading to do tonight before class. I am seriously considering how much reading I give to my students!! I suddenly have much more compassion....

I will check in again tomorrow with hopefully some interesting trivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment