Sunday 10 July 2011

Weekend Relaxation


I have been in Vancouver for a week now. And though I am getting used to the noise, busy streets and millions of people, I am struggling with the reality that I am not home. I have left my familiar surroundings such as my home and friends and small city culture to come to a big city, new culture, new home, and begin a demanding doctoral program. At first it was very exciting as I was kept busy trying to find the right bus, classroom, and fit in with the Vancouverites, however, now that the excitement is slowly wearing off, the reality is setting in. I am beginning to feel lonely and isolated without my usual comforts (everything that is familiar), as well as the recent loss of my beloved canine.
I decided to take matters in hand and phoned my daughter to ask if we could spend some time together. We both have been so busy that we haven't had many opportunities to hang out. She eagerly agreed and we decided to relax and have massages, manicures and lunch on Saturday. Just the thought of spending the day with Simone lifted my spirit.

First I slept in on Saturday until 0830-a new record for me. Generally I am awake at 0600 even on weekends. Simone and I met for our massages at 1230. It was heavenly to say the least. Please note the picture above. The massage was $45.00 for an hour and I left barely able to walk I was so relaxed. I have booked one for every Saturday until I go back to Kelowna.

After that we took the sky train to Yaletown for manicures. I got a very light gel overlay so my nails look shiny and will be protected for about 3-4 weeks. Looks fantastic. I will have to look into gel overlays (not the same as gel nails) when I get back home.

We also went for lunch and walked around Yaletown. Such a neat city and really interesting people. I think in time I could like it here...never thought I would say that as I am usually terrified of big cities. My friends back home can testify to this!! After coming back to the apartment-I soaked in epsom salts to relax my muscles and then completed my class assignment and sent it in. Today I am much better. I just needed family time. Perhaps as I get to know my cohort better, we can plan things to do in the evenings to ease the loneliness.
I hope you all had a nice weekend and found a way to relax and let down your hair (if you have hair). Thanks for reading. Feel free to post comments.

5 comments:

  1. There's no place like home my friend. miss you too. love the pic too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Colleen! Miss you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely we'll plan some "loneliness busting" activities. I may even teach you how to get down to my part of the world on sky train :)! Please, please tell me where you found an hours massage for $45!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At Golden Feet on the corner of West Broadway and Cambie (by the sky train). I am booked again for Saturday!
    Thanks for posting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had such a lovely day with you MOM! I can't wait for our next adventure!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete