Tuesday 12 July 2011

HQP 11 and The Final Defense



Yesterday we were invited to sit in on a dissertation defense. This is a student in a doctoral program who has completed the course work and has completed the dissertation manuscript (like a thesis). The student is required to "defend" the work and research they have written. This process consists of the student presenting a 30 minute discussion such as a ppt summarizing the material, followed by 1 1/2 hours of panel participants (experts in the topic) asking questions of the student. The student is required to defend, answer questions, clarify, and elaborate on their topic and research methods etc.

Though we are early in our program, I think it was a great opportunity to demystify the process and aleviate the anxiety. We had a great discussion in class today about it. David and Kjell (our teachers) helped us to realize that it is the job of our dissertation committee to assist in preparing for the defense. We should be an expert in our topic and be well prepared to answer the questions. In other words, if our committee is strong and have done their job, our defense should be straightforward. I hope I have captured that accurately.

The picture above was taken today at the end of class. Some of the cohort had left and the rest were chatting (we are good at that!) We have rich discussions each day and rarely get through the required daily content. Our cohort which I think we have decided to call "HQP 11" (high quality people cohort 11-private joke among our cohort), seemed to connect immediately the first day. Each day gets better and better. With our diverse backgrounds and varied educational experiencs- our class discussions are fabulous and I am learning tons. On the note of learning, I don't think I have EVER read so much so quickly in my life. I have decided that the only way I can keep up is to skim the articles, discuss them in class, write notes and then re-read them on the weekend. I seem to get more out of the readings that way. Here I am procrastinating (big topic with our HQP group...LOL) by writing this blog. I will then make some tea, have a snack and perhaps have my bath before finishing the readings!! Hee hee

Hope you all had a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Got my comment for yesterday...or was it Monday...posted. I'm starting to lose all sense of time... Must go read....right now....in 10 minutes...after I cuddle the cat... Uh oh. That procrastination joke is coming to real life. Help :)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all have the procrastination bug! Here I am reading posts instead of reading Nussbaum (soooooo dry!)

    ReplyDelete