Wednesday 6 July 2011

Project: Interview a Colleague

Another busy day with school and homework. The bus was amazingly busy this morning. I had to squeeze in, hold my breath and suck in my stomach to allow the door to close. But with my newly emerging six pack abs (from bracing on the crazy bus rides) I was successful! As the bus slowly cleared out a seat opened up and I am not kidding-some young strapping punk tried to sit down (are you kidding me??) This old gal (me) just about took him out to get to that seat. My quads were burning with lactic acid and my heavy bag with my laptop was stretching my arm to enormous lengths and I thought "move out of my way". I actually beat him to the seat and gave a very disapproving (mother look) glare so he would know that he should always let old ladies and children sit.

Class was interesting - our topic was the qualities of an educated person-which surprisingly doesn't include credentials or even university education. Our cohort agreed that an educated person is someone who is open-minded, curious, a risk-taker, approachable, kind, caring, confident, generous etc. Interestingly, I think of all my favourite teachers and they had these qualities. I have also had teachers with very high credentials and post doctorate education who were less educated (according to these indicators). Such a revelation!!

For our assignment, we are to interview a colleague in the cohort to determine their notion of education. Their experience of school and determine what is important to them. In other words - what is their conception of education?

I paired up with a wonderful colleague - just so happens her name is Cathy-and we went for lunch and each did a 30 minute interview. I found this both fascinating and revealing (both of her and myself). I didn't realize my early school experiences shaped my thinking and way of being now. I hated school as a kid because the teachers were mean and I was strapped often (it was legal then) for silly things like being left handed (apparently that was a punishable sin in the early sixties). So, to this day I hate school and only take courses as a "means to an end", but always wondered why others love school and learning and I fret and am anxious whenever I start a new course or degree. It is all coming clear to me -this degree is my new therapy!! LOL

I arrived home safe and sound and loaded down with tons of reading again. So, another successful day in the trenches, homework done and now off to bed I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment