Thursday 28 July 2011

I'm 50 Today

Today was the big day. A milestone that I had been dreading. 50 just sounds so old doesn't it? The picture above was sent to me via email today from my daughter Danielle. I treasure it. I have had time to reflect these last few weeks and realized that I have accomplished many of my life goals and have so much to be thankful for.

First-without sounding like a chiche-I truly do have the best daughters. Each are special in their own way and I smile when I think about their funny antics, their passions in life, their integrity and maturity, and how they are morally concerned about the world they live in. They love me and call me daily to share all the joys, fears, hurts and milestones in their lives. I treasure this and wait for my phone to ring or my email to "chirp" to tell me one of them has left a message. Today I received a call from each with words of love. It really doesn't get better than that!

Second-I am proud of my goal of publishing a book. That in itself was a learning process and every step of the way I struggled and became discouraged and wondered if it was worth all the effort and time in light of my busy job, but I kept at it and this week I was blessed to see it published. It was a personal triumph. I believe we are all born on this Earth to make a positive difference and this book is one of my contributions. It is a book about hope and support and comfort to families suffering the pain of a daughter with an eating disorder. My daughter survived and I told God that if He helped my daughter recover I would help other families and daughters to survive. I am keeping my end of the bargain...with great joy.

Third-I have the most amazing career. I really do. Those who know me hear me say that all the time. I love teaching and I love students and enjoy going to the hospital to cuddle and care for babies and model to students how to be in a compassionate relationship with children and families. Also, I am really excited to get tenured this year. I have worked hard for it and feel ready to take this honour being offered to me. My colleagues are respectful and I enjoy going to work hear about their lives, trips, grandchildren, new research, and published articles etc. I have never dreaded going to work and look forward to many more years teaching. Isn't it wonderful to love your job?

Fourth-I am fulfilling a life long dream of getting a doctoral degree. I chose the doctor of education program as it has everything I am looking for to assist in achieving my goal of being a better educator. The work is challenging but really interesting. I wasn't sure how I would feel being in a small cohort, but I love it. I think we will be friends for many years after we finish this degree. When this degree is complete, I will be Dr. Cathy Robinson and that has a nice ring to it.

And finally-where would I be without my friends. You know who you are and I treasure each of you. You are my safe place to share and cry and laugh. You are there through thick and thin. You share my accomplishments with honest joy and happiness, and share my pain with tears and hugs. I would not be who I am with your support and love. God bless each of you. I have really missed our "girls nights" out on the town since being away and can't wait to catch up when I get back. Thank you for your friendship.

So, upon reflection- 50 is a wonderful milestone to celebrate my family, my amazing friends, my accomplishments and my future goals. Here is to turning 50-I love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment