Wednesday 13 July 2011

Me versus the Vancouver Transit System


It has been a few days since I have mentioned the transit system. The picture above is my bus. I take the 99 B-line to and from the UBC campus. When I was about to take the picture the bus driver asked what I was doing. I told her that I was documenting all my experiences in Vancouver in a blog which included taking the bus. She seemed annoyed...LOL

The transit system and I have come to a peace agreement. It gets me where I need to go and I don't hate it! I have also come to the realization that my poor dogs have suffered greatly over the years. Let me explain...

My dogs loved going for car rides. I loaded my 2 massive golden retrievers into the back seat and with my usual sense of urgency would put the pedal to the medal and shoot out of the driveway...consequently plastering my dogs to the back seat (like those gravity rides at the fair). Oh but it gets better. If it was safely possibly...I would speed through the yellow light...if I thought it was too chancy...I hit the brakes (see a pattern with the transit system here from my earlier posts??). The dogs would be propelled forward and on one occasion my poor Mortimer did a forward half pike with a double flip into the front seat. He was sitting in the front seat looking stunned. I felt terrible of course (thought I would put that disclaimer in). My dogs learned to brace with every fibre of their being and became quite proficient at staying put in the back seat (hmmm...sounds like me the first few days on the bus doesn't it?).

With some deep reflection-I feel terrible about the years my dogs went for car rides with me. I realize now how hard it is to hang on and struggle to keep from doing the forward half pike...and sharing the front seat with the driver. However, the glass half full reflection is that the dogs developed very strong legs (and probably sculpted calves if I could see them)- which they demonstrated frequently while out on walks. I was often dragged whenever they spotted a marmot, cat, dog, bird, deer, leaf etc etc. So I think they got their revenge in a passive/aggressive sort of way.

I will end my discussion of the transit system and try not to complain again this summer- unless of course something really noteworthy happens LOL. I welcome comments...

6 comments:

  1. Mom -lets just say it wasn't just the dogs who suffered from years of your driving. We were all plastered to the windshield at least once a trip...

    ReplyDelete
  2. and my poor Daisy used to ride in the front seat and end up on the floor because her nails were too slippery on the dash board. lol Just remember Cathy, your boys loved going to daycare so I'm sure the ride was worth it. You were a great mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle-I do remember you girls holding on for dear life when we were in the car. Thank goodness for seatbelts! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your supportive Comment Colleen...glad to know my dogs weren't the only ones being propelled in a car. I agree they often put up with bad driving for the sheer joy of going for a ride in the car! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way too funny, Cathy. Everyone is asleep here and I had to nearly gag myself trying to not laugh out loud! You should write a book! Oh wait.....! ;) Maybe a funny one this time?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am actually thinking of publishing my blog when my degree is done. Stay tuned....

    ReplyDelete